Sunday, July 26, 2009

Enterprise Crew Stands By For Lift-off Into Movie History

(Click on image to view larger.)

Saved from "The Star" tabloid, November 13, 1979.

Bonus: Nice publicity shot of Kirk and Spock scanned in from another of my photo scrapbooks.

Bonus #2: A 1976 Random House Star Trek Greeting card!

To say Kirk looks insufferably pleased with himself would be an understatement. Mugging for the camera was a true talent of Bill's, and this shot from "I, Mudd" puts it to great use. There were about a dozen or so different cards for various occasions in this first set of Trek-themed cards ever put out. I was fortunate enough to get most of them, and I'll share them with you here every so often. This one opened up into an award, and was really my favorite card.


I bought all of these cards at my favorite comic book/memorablilia store ever, the afore-mentioned "Starship Enterprises" in Ft. Lauderdale. I took this 1979 photo of the display in the store where I got the cards. Neat, huh? Kind of funny to see Artoo and Threepio hawking merchandise for the competition.

3 comments:

DalkullanJewelry said...

Like your blog, I've been a Star Trek fan since the series first aired.

Abe Lucas said...

Ooh! Can't wait for the upcoming piece on Starship Enterprises! The first comic book store I ever went to! When did they first open their doors? Okay, okay I'll wait... ;)

Frederick said...

DalkullanJewelry,

Thanks for commenting! I actually missed it during the first run, but when I became aware of it in reruns in the very early 70's I was converted.

and C.K.,

I'll be posting that soon, but I can say it's based more on my personal memories and photos than any inside info. Loved it though!