Friday, February 4, 2011

1986 Article on Star Trek Novels

More this time from the great 20th Anniversary Issue of Starlog, #112, published in October of 1986; I've been posting material from it recently, and will do more until it's all here.

Back when new Trek was still years away (and only a hopeful dream), and later during the lulls in between the movies, the Trek fiction novels were all we fans had (apart from fan fiction, which was hard to find for most, and the comics, which were basically short stories). I used to buy every single novel that came out, from the first, all the way up until about the mid-90's, when I only bought one now and then when a book looked particularly interesting. This article, titled "The Novel Adventures of Star Trek," briefly reviews the novels that were put out up till then, late in 1986.
(Click on images to enlarge.)








Bonus: below, from the same issue, is a one-page tribute to the series from author Allen Asherman, a name familiar to me from his days as editor of "The Monster Times."

And below is a panel of art commemorating the anniversary from the same issue depicting a meeting across time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how the drawing of Spock on the first page of the novelization article looks like Zachary Quinto ... years before he was cast in the role.

Frederick said...

Good point! I didn't see it for staring at Uhura. :)

Abe Lucas said...

Frederick, thanks for posting this! It makes a nice supplement to Voyages of Imagination.

Rob Bignell said...

The article is a great overview of those first novels before the sequel/spinoff series. There are so many novels now it's nearly impossible to keep up with them all.

Of the Blish episode adaptations, which is your favorite collection? I like "3" - first one I ever bought just on the strength of the top notch second season episodes in it - but "4" is a close second though the cover is my favorite.

pat said...

love the article!
Great art by Boris Vallejo and that cover of Sulu with long hair and moustache is really cool!
I agree with the above comment, Spock looks more like Quinto than Nimoy, strange because Boris is a great portrait artist.
Please Fred, more Trek art!

Frederick said...

Rob,
I think that #3 is my favorite also, mainly because it was the first one I picked up, then I bought #2, then #1, then the rest in order. I spent many a summer afternoon in 1973 under a pine tree reading those books!
Pat,

I guess Boris was going for a slightly younger look on the characters, and since Quinto looks like a younger Spock, it's only natural!